February 24, 2012

Wherever The Wind Blows

One of the interesting facts about retail is that you never know who is going to breeze into the store unexpectedly. When you work in retail where the population is mostly senior citizens, several things are true that might not be otherwise. For example, most of the seniors in my town live in retirement homes. They only leave their complex for one of two reasons. They are either going out to get food from the store, or they are going to play bingo with their crew.

The fact is that when you work retail in this kind of environment, most of your customers do not always have friends, family, or, frankly, anyone to talk to at all. Technically this can be true in any society anywhere, but it is even more true in a town full of senior citizens.

I am going to tell you a story that was only made possible because of some current events that have been encouraging, and the sovereignty of God that made everything possible.

God's Sovereignty In Meeting

Last night I met a man named Bob. I had seen him before in the store, but it had been quite some time. He bought a few ordinary things such as milk and bread, but what happened after he finished paying for everything at my register is the reason for this post.

I told Bob to have a good day (as I do with all of my customers) and I turned around to finish putting some product behind the register away. As I turned around, Bob said before leaving, "Can I ask you a question?" Before I could answer, he followed with this: "Jared, are you a praying man?"

Rewind the clock slightly and follow my thought process: Before heading to work that afternoon, I had just read this article, where two evangelists asked a man if they could pray for him. It had the effect of humbling the man and opening up an opportunity to share the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Fast-forward: This was the exact same situation I was now in, only reverse. Bob had asked me if I was a praying man. As I turned around to answer Bob's question, I noticed that the store was almost entirely empty when it very rarely is. Here is some of the dialog that took place after his question:

Without hesitation, I answered Bob with a question: "How can I pray for you?"

"I'm hurting inside and I need help," said Bob.

"Would you like to talk about it?" I said.

Bob replied, "I don't have many people to talk to, and a family member just died and I'm the only one left."

"I am real sorry for your loss." I replied.

Then Bob looked at me and said this, "I am the only one left and I don't know what to do. I know this disease runs in my family (I can't remember what disease he said), and I know I could get it and die soon."

God's Sovereignty In Conversation

I don't really know why I said what I said next, but it might have had a little to do with the store being so empty: "Bob, let me ask you, do you know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?"

He said, "Well, I think so. I trust in God, and I've repented of my sins. I know I'm not perfect, and that burdens me." While he was talking, he was making gestures with his hands to show the conflict in his heart; as if he could not put it to words, but knew there was a longing in his heart for something.

Not wanting to increase his guilt too much more than necessary, while realizing that he had just admitted his sinfulness and need for a savior, I directed him to Jesus Christ. I told him briefly about Jesus Christ and how He could forgive him for his sinfulness and his failure to be perfect; I told him how he could be made right with God because of Jesus Christ, and I told him how he could have a peace in his heart by having a hope for the future. I told him that I, too, was brought out of the pit of my guilt and my sin, and because of what Jesus Christ did for me on the cross at Calvary, I am now a new man with a peace in my heart and a joy to serve the Lord.

I asked him again, "Are you sure you know Jesus Christ?" I said to him that Jesus had asked His disciples this same question. I handed him a gospel tract to tell him more about Jesus Christ, I shook his hand, and told him I would be praying for him. He did ask if I was a Jehovah's Witness. I said no and then I thought about how I failed to make that clear as I told him about Christ.

Bob asked what church I went to, and after I told him, he told me that it was too far since he could not drive. I referred him to a local Bible church where I have been good friends with the youth pastor for several years. I gave him this man's name and directions to the church. I then shook his hand and said that I would pray for him and if he ever needed a friend to talk to, I am usually working. He thanked me and headed on his way.

God's Sovereignty In Salvation

As of today, I ran into Bob at the local grocery store. He was in a big hurry because someone had driven him there, but I asked him if he was able to read the gospel tract yet. He said he read a little bit of it, but had not had time to read the whole thing yet. I asked him if he wanted to talk (since I was not working then), but he was desperately looking for his ride home. He calmed down when I asked him again if I could pray for him. He explained that he has been "searching" for something to fill the "longing in his heart."

I can tell you that as I watched Bob say this, I could tell that God has pricked this man's heart and he is searching for a peace that passes all understanding (Phil. 4:7). Please be in prayer for Bob: That he would have heard the message of Jesus Christ accurately; that he would read the gospel tract thoroughly; that he would become a part of a good local church, and that the Lord would open his eyes to the gospel and show him the way to salvation. Pray that if the Lord wills it, the Wind would blow in Bob's direction (John 3:8), so that he might come to true repentance and faith in Jesus Christ alone for salvation.

2 comments:

  1. This is both encouraging and challenging, Jared. I'm reminded of how natural sharing the gospel is when there is a true heart of love behind it. Praise the Lord! I will deffinately be praying for Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet, there should always be a heart of love behind it when we preach the Truth, amen? Then the gospel with simply flow out of our mouths regardless of what people might think of us.

      It's easy to worry about what other people will think of us when we share the gospel, but it is much more difficult to share the Truth regardless, since it is totally against our human nature.

      I know I held back a little bit because I was worried for a minute about whether other customers would come in as I was sharing with Bob. As soon as I put that thought out of my mind, I asked Bob if he knew Jesus Christ. If we say we love anyone, we must be willing to go above and beyond to share the Truth with them in order to save them from the reality of Hell. If we just stand there and watch them willfully go their merry way down to Hell, that isn't very loving at all.

      Glad you were encouraged and challenged. So have I been this week! Keep praying for Bob!

      Delete